FSFE GA meeting, 11-13 October, Essen, removing RMS from the constitution?

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Thu Sep 26 21:25:22 BST 2019

Hi all,

I'm told that FSFE is organizing their Annual meeting (which they call
the GA meeting) on 11-13 October in Essen and that they may be trying to
remove RMS from their constitution[1] at this meeting or the next one.
I haven't verified this as I am no longer a member but for those who are
members, maybe you want to ask.

How do people feel about this?

Has anybody received a full agenda?

Who is going?

Even for those who are not members, it is important to have observers
from sister organizations like FSF present when an organization attempts
to change the aims of their constitution.

Remember that EUR 150,00 bequest they received from a fellow who died?
How would he/she feel if the aims of the organization were changed
making it into a lobby group subordinate to Google?

Their blog appears to gloat[2] about RMS's resignation, like FSF, there
is no attempt to recognize the significant sacrifices he has made for
Free Software over so many decades.  That is very disappointing.

With what we saw in FSF recently, anything seems possible.

Regards,

Daniel Pocock

1. https://fsfe.org/about/legal/Constitution.en.pdf
2. https://fsfe.org/news/2019/news-20190917-01.en.html