consent to be deceived?

Christopher Waid chris at thinkpenguin.com
Sun Sep 29 21:26:48 BST 2019

On 2019-09-29 11:30 AM, Danny Spitzberg wrote:
> Daniel, clearly there are many people here demanding to be removed
> from this list.
>
> And when I receive two emails from Adrienne about #RiseUp, etc. via
> FSF and FSFE, it’s clear that this list is a *new* list you’ve
> subscribed me to *without my consent.*
>
> It’s pretty embarrassing to see your hand-wringing and spin about
> censorship, too - if you ever poke around the fascist #MAGA corner of
> Twitter, you’ll see disingenuous complaining about ‘the truth’
> (hate speech and abusive content) being ‘censored’ when what is
> actually happening is, it’s simply not getting more attention - and
> rightfully so.
>
> Please remove me, and everyone you added.

No, please don't remove anyone. If you want removed remove yourself.
There is a link to do so.

I'll explain to those who aren't familiar with this thing called the
internet how it works. You can send packets to anybody you like. You
WILL receive packets and you have agreed to this by the participation in
said network- even packets you don't particularly care for. Your options
to stop those evil packets are effectively to ignore them. Fortunately
there are tools for that. From firewalls to spam filters to unsubscribe
links. That is how the internet works in the real world. You don't get
to control other people no matter how entitled you are because
ultimately at the end of the day there are different laws in different
jurisdictions and in practice jurisdictions without any laws. Pass a law
in one or many states, cities, counties, regions, countries, or even
unions doesn't magically stop others elsewhere from sending you packets
you don't particularly care for.

While I didn't sign up for this list, and understand the argument to the
extent that signing up random people who have no desire to be on the
list shouldn't be signed up that isn't what happened here. If you can't
see that its because of your own bias and perceptions. It is apparent
why this list came to be. There was division among participants in a
particular other list.

So long as this new list respects those with dissenting opinions (ie
those who are liars with a clear bias, and all-of-a-sudden anti-RMS) I
would like to remain. I have no desire to live in an echo chamber. While
I was not on the other list I understand why I was added. At worst if I
want to remove myself I will click the appropriate link or otherwise
block it. Compared to all the other packets I don't care to receive this
one isn't such a big deal.

And to be clear I don't particularly know the person who signed me up
for this list, although it may be apparent based on the discussion here,
and as such I don't know if I agree with them or not on any particular
issue.