consent to be deceived?

Christopher Waid chris at thinkpenguin.com
Sun Sep 29 23:06:37 BST 2019

On 2019-09-29 04:52 PM, Danny Spitzberg wrote:
> Here's the important bit from email I received on Sep. 22:
>> If you want to decline this invitation, please simply disregard this
>> message.  If you have any questions, please send them to
>> discussion-owner at lists.fsfellowship.eu."
>
> I did nothing, and yet, I got magically subscribed!
>
> So, Christopher, while I'm grateful for the explanation of how this
> thing called the Internet works, you seem to misunderstand that I'm
> talking specifically about *consent* -- and you also seem to disagree
> with what happened, which is why I shared the above quote. For further
> reading on consent, I'm happy to share a lovely website and
> publication that explains the concept as it pertains to technology:
> http://www.consentfultech.io/. Borrowing from that framework: I was
> misinformed, and I was certainly not enthusiastic about it.

This is like saying because I setup a new server with a new mailing list
program and imported those from the old list the consent doesn't exist
anymore. That is absurd.

There was a fork and the forker took that list and imported it because
the list no longer is what users signed up for. If the fork retains the
mission of the list it is the non-forked list which lacks the consent of
the users and not the forked version.

When you change the terms of an agreement you would need to get consent.
The forked list didn't change the terms. The original maintainer of the
list did.

In any event none of this theoretical chatter matters much. You are on
the internet and the internet fundamentally disagrees with you. It's not
the law that matters because the law differs from place to place and we
are all in different places. It's fundamentally how the internet works
that matters and the fact you are on two lists now is evidence of that
fact.